You can see why the Greeks cared so much about war- and why we care so much about it too. We need some way to measure ourselves, to show mastery over the physical, material world. We don’t really have much control in life- over death, aging, finances, love- and so when we have a controlled environment, like a football game, with a definite metric for victory- we take it extremely seriously. Why? Just because we can take it seriously. Because everyone else in the game will take it seriously- and because no one else is watching to tell us we’re stupid.
Matt Gasda helps me understand something about life and football in the brand new issue of The Miscreant, out today.
22 Notes/ Hide
- midwesternmiscreant reblogged this from andrewmcclain
- ataxiwardance likes this
- atomicyawn reblogged this from onehundreddollars
- lauracricket said:Wow. I never understood sports till just now.
- ptbruiser likes this
- tumblrweed-connection likes this
- legbasear likes this
- hughbot likes this
- notsohumblemusings reblogged this from onehundreddollars
- project-argus likes this
- adefectiveidealist reblogged this from onehundreddollars
- onehundreddollars reblogged this from andrewmcclain
- onehundreddollars likes this
- theblueprint likes this
- irish-mexi likes this
- charlesdingus likes this
- icarntspell likes this
- soy likes this
- andrewmcclain posted this